Surly Long Haul Trucker
Over the years our Long Haul Trucker touring frame and complete bike has developed a devoted following. People understand and appreciate the LHT’s dependability and everyday riding comfort, whether they’re cruising to the store or lost in the middle of nowhere.
The Long Haul Trucker was designed in all aspects to go the distance in relative comfort, and to be able to haul a bunch of stuff. Its low bottom bracket and long chainstays provide comfort and stability. We gave it ample tire clearance for larger tires (larger tires soak up a lot of road static) with room for fenders. The frame’s tubing is thicker-walled and larger-diameter than standard road and sport-touring frames, and this pre-tunes it for the weight of cargo. And it’s got all the braze-ons, from rack mounts to water bottle cage bosses to spare spoke holders. Like all our frames, it’s made of CroMoly steel. You’ll probably never need to have the frame repaired, but if you do you’re more likely to find someone who can weld steel than someone who can weld titanium or aluminum. Repair carbon fiber in the middle of Mongolia? Good luck with that.
For the completes we chose components that balance technical ability, durability, and value. This is stuff that works well on a fully loaded tourer, will last you a while, and won’t shoot holes in your wallet. Add whatever else you need, like racks and fenders.
The standard Long Haul Trucker is compatible with good ol’ rim brakes. It’s available as a frameset and as a complete bike, with 26? wheels in 42–62cm frame sizes, and with 700c wheels in 56–64cm. The fork has two sets of eyelets on the dropouts as well as at proper mid-blade height, and bosses built into the side of the crown. All this makes the fork compatible with most types of racks, and provides options how you can mount racks and carry your stuff.
Go somewhere. Do something. Ride a Long Haul Trucker.
- Frame: Surly Long Haul Trucker, 100% Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded
- Fork: Surly Long Haul Trucker, 4130 CroMoly, lugged and brazed. Proprietary sloping crown with threaded eyelets, tapered and butted curved blades with mid-blade rack eyelets, dual dropout eyelets
- Seatpost clamp: Surly Stainless, 30.0mm (Surly stainless included)
- Crankset: Andel RSC6, 26/36/48t. Square taper interface. Silver
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-55, Square taper interface. 68 x 118mm
- Front Derailleur: Shimano Sora FD-3503, Silver
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT-T780-L SGS, Black
- Cog or Cassette: Shimano HG-50-10, 11–32t
- Chain: KMX X10, Nickel plated
- Headset: Cane Creek 40, 1-1/8? threadless. Black
- Brakes: Tektro CR720, Cantilever. Silver
- Brake Levers: Tektro, RL341 short reach on 42, 46, 50mm frames. RL340 standard reach on all others
- Shifters: Microshift BS-M10 10-speed shifter, friction/index adjustable; Black
- Stem: Kalloy AS-009, 26.0mm bar clamp. Aluminum. 4-bolt face. Silver
- Handlebar: PMT, 26.0mm. Silver
- Saddle: Velo, VL1353
- Seatpost: Kalloy SP-368 non-offset [42-50cm]; Kalloy SP-248D offset [52-64cm], 27.2mm. 300mm. Silver
- Extras: Some pretty sweet & comfy cork tape
- Hubs: Shimano LX T670. 36h, Silver
- Rims: Alex DH19, 36h. Double wall. Eyeletted. Black
- Spokes: DT Swiss Champion, 14g; Silver
- Tires: Continental Contact, 700c x 37mm