Five Ten has abandoned the super-sticky M-16 rubber compound and returned to the original S-1 rubber. According to Five Ten, M-16 was intended to be a compromise: super sticky soles, at the expense of a short lifespan - very similar to a racing tire. Beyond the new Five Ten Freerider Pro's more durable soles, is an encore of improvements intended to extend the durability of the full-synthetic uppers, as well, as adding some long-awaited comfort features.
Our most versatile compound: it is used throughout our entire footwear line. S1 sticks to all surfaces whether they are wet or dry. This makes S1 ideal for all conditions. Stealth S1 exhibits an extraordinary balance of high friction and durability with excellent cushioning.
- Good ventilation:In summer conditions, the previous Freerider shoes made your feet feel like dogs locked inside a car with the windows up, but Five Ten came to the rescue with a well ventilated toe box and a perforated mesh tongue that allows much of the shoe's upper to breathe.
- Big Dots: The bare area in the M-16 sole has been eliminated in favor of a consistent pattern of larger sized "Dotties" that enhance the grip and feel of the S-1 compound soles.
- Reinforced toe box: A hidden, wrap-around impact layer protects the toe box. In addition, both the toe and heel are further protected with anti-abrasion layers.
- EVA cushion: Shock absorbing EVA foam between the upper and the sole protects the foot from trauma due to hard landings or crashing. The padded heel also improves the walkability of the shoe.
- Lighter weight: The latest iterations of the Freerider weigh only 13.6 ounces (385 grams) in a size 9 (43)