Ibis Ripley 29 LS Boost Special Blend - Pike CTD - 2016
THE MAIN IMAGE IS FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY - SPECS MAY VARY
The Ripley development story has reached almost mythic status and it seems every review of the bike adds another year to the development. Yes, it took 6 years, but in that time we went through two wheel sizes, two travel lengths, two types of bearings, and two factories. It was a long road but also a rewarding result.
Originally we approached Dave Weagle (suspension guru, inventor of the dw-link who has never let us down on a suspension design) and told him we wanted to build a super fast and lightweight suspension bike and that it needed to be efficient for racing but not so focused on it that it wasn’t good at anything else. We asked for 100mm of travel and told him we wanted to be able to build the bike to be the lightest and stiffest in class. What he came back with surprised us: He had figured out how to shrink the whole dw-link system down to two tiny eccentric links.
During the same time we were riding other 29ers and realized how we were spoiled by the 140mm of front and rear travel found on the Mojo. The big wheels certainly help mitigate the shorter travel, but 100mm forks to us felt like we were going back in time (not in a good way). We're were sure a 100mm bike would make a World Cup fire road racer happy but it wouldn't make us happy. Back to Dave. Can you make the eccentric bike have 120mm of travel and still be just as efficient? No problem he said, so we both got to work.
The Ripley LS features a 15mm longer top tube and also features a slack 67.5 degree head angle. This allows for shorter stems and adds stability at speed.
WHAT’S NEW IN THE NEW RIPLEY
- Internal cable routing using Ibis' flexible and easy to setup port system
- Increased tire clearance
- Threaded bottom bracket
- Seat mast lowered by 1/2” to accommodate today’s longer droppers
- Stiffer eccentric cores
- New rubber molded chainstay and seatstay protection
- Two new colors (let's call them "Tang" and "Black")
- CBO includes downtube guard option
- Fork - RockShox Pike RCT3 140mm 29er Black
- Shock - Fox Float CTD Factory Series Kashima 7.25 x 1.75
- Wheels - Easton ARC 30 Tubeless Ready 32H Boost 148mm Rear
- Tires - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25” Snake Skin tubeless front, Racing Ralph 2.25” Snake Skin tubeless rear
- Brakes - Shimano BL-M445/BR-M447 180mm Front Rotor, 160mm Rear Rotor
- Cranks - Race Face Aeffect SL 2X10, 24/34, 175mm
- Rear Derailleur - RD-M8000,DEORE XT, GS 11 SPEED SHADOW PLUS
- Front Derailleur - FD-M8020-D, DEORE XT
- Shift Levers - SL-M8000, DEORE XT
- Cassette - CS-M8000,DEORE XT, 11-SPEED, 11-42
- Chain - CN-HG700-11
- Headset - Cane Creek 40: ZS44/EC49
- Grips - Lizard Skins Logo
- Handlebars - Ibis 740mm 7075 aluminum handlebar
- Stem - Thompson Elite X4 Stem
- Seatpost - Thomson 31.6 x 350 L, 7075
- Saddle - Ibis custom saddle, CrMo rails
**Please Note - Image shows Fox fork and DPS Shock, bike comes with RockShox Pike (Black) and Fox CTD shock as listed in specs**