Thomson Elite Layback Seatpost
The Thomson Elite Seatpost is the standard by which all other seatposts are judged. Forged clamps, integrally machined head, and an elliptically extruded 7000 series aluminium body have made the Thomson Elite Layback Seatpost an industry model for strength and ease of adjustment.
Over 40% stronger on ultimate strength tests than the strongest production seatposts on the market, the Elite has double the fatigue life of any other production models we tested. The tube and head of the Thomson seatpost are integral-machined from one piece of high strength 7000 series aluminium. The head is not pressed or bonded in. This allows for superior strength and minimum weight.
The Thomson seatpost has a clamp, head, and upper tube strong enough to withstand 350 foot-lbs of torque. The tube will start to yield and bend at the seat tube clamp at about 250 foot-lbs of torque. Under severe impact the Thomson seatpost will bend slightly and allow the rider to come to a safe stop or finish the ride.
The designs and materials have passed extensive life and ultimate strength tests. Our ongoing testing program ensures that every production lot of seatposts meets Thomson standards.
- Certified to: EN 14766 2006 MTB and DIN CERTCO: 2006 MTB
- Incredibly lightweight—approximately 201 grams (250 mm length) for road bikes and 228 grams (330 mm length) for mountain bikes
- The natural ellipse bore inside tube creates an optimum strength-to-weight ratio
- Long 1.614 inch (41 mm) seat rail grip length, helping to prevent seat rail bending from impact loads (most other seatposts have grip lengths of at least 0.5 inches shorter than our grip length)
- Infinite tilt adjustment minus 5° and plus 29°
- Design incorporates a bending fuse to prevent catastrophic failure
- All parts are captive and can easily be attached to a seat without dis-assembly
- Very low profile clamps means no seat interference as the swivel nuts are down between the seat rails
- Impact absorbing clamps in the seatpost will spread and flex on impact to protect seat, rails, and rider
- The seats survive heavy impact loads without bending the rails